Jobs and Internships
Fall 2014 SpeakEasy InternshipsSpeakEasy internships are an excellent way to learn more about the workings of a professional theatre company, through hands-on experience and mentorship. Our work environment is supportive and open, giving interns access to the multidisciplinary art of theatre management, which includes the rehearsal and production process, community outreach, development, marketing and general management. Fall Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis until Friday, May 16th, 2014. Early application is recommended.
All internships are available for one semester, for the season (Aug/Sept-May), or for the calendar year. Production internships may also be undertaken on a show-by-show basis. Internships are a minimum of 16 hours per week, are unpaid, and do not carry promise of employment after completion, though they may be used for school credit (if your college permits). In addition, we are happy to offer free tickets to our shows and events to all interns, along with full access to other company events whenever possible.
SpeakEasy Internships are offered in four categories:
Development Interns support SpeakEasy’s development and administrative staffs as they:
- Steward high-level supporters and VIP contacts
- Facilitate interactions with corporate sponsors and government agencies
- Build relationships with audiences and volunteers
- Prepare grant applications
- Conduct outreach to theatre supporters on a personal and organizational level, through donor appeals and special events
Marketing Interns assist SpeakEasy’s marketing team as they:
- Plan production marketing campaigns, including poster and postcard design, web design, ad placement, promotions, group sales, special events, business partnerships and more
- Work with the press to ensure a show gets maximum exposure, including photos, preview articles, reviews, and features
- Enact public relations efforts, including community building and outreach, educational efforts, and charity donations
- Interact with patrons and subscribers, and help the public learn about a production from all sides
Theatre Management Interns assist SpeakEasy’s administrative and production staffs as they:
- Develop and maintain contracts and vendor relations
- Handle day-to-day accounting and payroll
- Plan medium and long-term schedules and budgets
- Manage the many details that keep an organization running smoothly.
Production interns assist SpeakEasy’s production and stage management staffs as they coordinate, design and execute mainstage productions and special events. Interns have the opportunity to assist with multiple facets of a show, including:
- Stage Management
- Set Construction and Painting
- Lighting and Electrics
- Load-in and Strike
To apply, please submit:
- A cover letter indicating your areas of interest and experience, your preferred start date, weekly availability (if available), and whether you plan to receive college credit for your internship
- A resume or resumes detailing both your administrative and theatrical experience
- The names and contact information of two references
- A writing sample (optional)
Summer Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis until Friday, May 16th, 2014. Early application is recommended.
Header photo: A Man of No Importance (2003) - Sean McGuirk and Miguel Cervantes. Photo by Craig Bailey/Perspective Photo.